Sunday, June 19, 2011

overdue?

It's been a couple weeks since my last post.
I wish I wanted to apologize--but I don't.
Not having an excessive amount of time to craft is a good thing. Right?
ha.
It just means I'm being productive in other ways. They are definitely not as fun "other ways", but I now have money and am learning rather then letting my brain turn to mush before I go back for sophomore year.

Though I've been quite busy, I've still found some time to fit in some crafts.

#1. Wannabe good at art (painting)

I don't know if you can actually call it a painting. It's more of a doodle.
I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile. My sister KATIE is really good at them and has hung ones up like this all over her apartment. I liked how you don't have to be a great artist to do something like this.

I've been on the hunt for some cheap canvas for awhile now. I didn't want to dish up the $10 it costs at a regular craft store for one this size so when I came across a nearly blank one at thrift store I visited last week-I had to get it.



It originally just had the blue butterfly on it (painted by someone else?). I added the red flower, beads, and the other leaves to the top. During the process, I messed up the butterfly with my paint, so I had to go over it a couple different times. Like I said, I'm really no good at drawing. That's why I like that ou can keep it simple and make it more abstract, like what my sister did with this one. I believe she used masking tape to make the design, and then just painted the spaces in between. Simple enough. I used regular acrylic paint that is available at any craft store for pretty cheap.


#2. Jewelry rack

I found this at the D.I. for $1.

The Jewelry hanger I made a couple weeks back wasn't holding all my necklaces, so I bought it in hopes that I could use it to hold the rest of them. Step Process:
1. unscrew knobs and base
2. wrap assorted fabrics around each one (with the help of hot glue).
3. Add a couple buttons and some lace
4. Hang jewelry.

It took me about 20 minutes, and resulted in a much more findable jewlery, and organized bathroom counter.




On the subject of jewelry, I feel like I have to show you this awesome necklace. 

MY MOM FOUND IT AT A GARAGE SALE. Yea. Those things rock. 



#3. Lastly, I'll show you something ghetto.
Some of you may be grossed out, but I could care less because this swimsuit MAKES ME SO HAPPY. It looks good, and cost me nearly $80 less than what I almost dished out for a full piece a couple weeks ago. I found it at the Catholic Hope thrift store in town for $2. I altered the straps to make it a halter, and used some extra blue material that came with the suit to make it a little tighter/cuter in the back. Its a full piece skirt suit and I freaking love it. It looks good on, and I can't wait to wear it in Maryland this week!


And now, BED.

I secretly have about 10 other skirts I altered this week that I was meaning to put on here tonight. . . but I'll save them for another day.

-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. yay!!! i especially love the swimsuit :) you are the coolest.

    ReplyDelete