Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bows!

Emilee came across this skirt in a craft blog during winter semester.

When she showed me, I mentally put it on my list of things I wanted to make this summer. The other day I started looking through my moms old patterns to find one to start this pencil skirt. She had thrown the one I was looking for away, so I decided to make my own pattern instead. 

Youtube offers a plethora of how-to's for skirts, shirts, dresses, etc. I found one that showed me how to make a pattern for a pencil skirt and I was on my way. I used the back of old Christmas wrapping paper for the pattern: 

After I made the pattern (only took around 20 minutes), I found some cool purple denim that I thought would work well. The fabric ended up being cheap and didn't hold my seams. SO. I was forced to resort to plan B. 

Plan B: 

1. Find fanned green skirt at thrift store for $1 
2. Cut off 6 inches from the bottom
3. Hem up an inch
4. Make bow from the fabric I cut off
5. Glue on bow to skirt with fabric glue my mom got for Christmas

I finally got my bow skirt (which I kinda love). 



P.S. Since I've been home I have not touched pants, capris, or shorts. Summer skirts and me love each other. ha. 

P.S.S. I am still going to do something with that darn purple skirt. I think. 

Happy Happy Summer days!
-Rachel 




5 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS. (i also love how you said "summer skirts and me love each other" YOU HAVE CHANGED ME i love skirts too, i wear them all the time. GOOD JOB RACH ITS SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh goodness i looove all the skirts.

    id like to buy one!! hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, this is amazing! I feel so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so freakin cute, can i say? i desire to be creative like you!! love it :)

    ReplyDelete