Tuesday, May 10, 2011

From dress to skirt

Meet Berkley. 
My best friend, and also the only girl willing to let me take all of her old dresses, rip/cut them up, and then let me take pictures of her in them. 

Every single one of these skirts used to be a dress. She was going to donate them to the D.I. because they were too short for her now. One I protested, I was able to convince her otherwise. 

They were all very simply to alter. Cut off the top part of the dress, add an elastic band, hem it over. Done. 
I only have before pictures for two of them, but they all were actually dresses at one point. 

I made the headband she's wearing in this one as well, and the shoes are my moms from when she was in college. 



This one was the easiest. Seriously, all I did was cut off the top part of the dress. The bow in the back is my favorite part. I also made the headband in this picture. 


 This one was a little bit harder, but I was able to add an elastic ban to make it fit around the waist. The shirt she is wearing I got in the 6th grade! Again, I made the headband in this photo and bought the shoes from the D.I. for a dollar. 

This skirt used to be a shirt/dress that I also actually own. I just cut off the straps and hemmed the top. I never wear the shirt in this picture because it doesn't look good on me. I'm glad I could find someone to have it look good on. Once again (ha) I made the headband and bought the blue velvet shoes from the D.I. for $2. 



This bow shirt is my favorite, but it never goes with anything! We finally got a skirt to go with it. The same thing with this one, all we did was cut off the top. 


Berk is wearing my favorite vest in this picture, and I love it combined with this wrap skirt. The tied bow in the front is my favorite part. 



That's 6 skirts she was going to give away! I'm glad I could fix them for her, and had a good time doing it. Seriously, go look in your closet--I swear you'll find one dress that you never wear that can easily be made into a cute summer skirt. 

<3 
Rachel 

5 comments:

  1. I just love them ALL :) I am so lucky to have such a talented friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are seriously so great. I wish I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cool idea i love the blog header. im jealous you had a mom that could teach you how to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly Rachel, I knew you had a craft blog because you're into that kind of stuff:) hahah but really this is great. You have inspired me and I am going through my old dresses right now and going to do this exact thing with them!

    ReplyDelete