Friday, May 6, 2011

The best store on this planet

Two golden words in my book: Deseret Industries

The D.I. is any poor college student's(living inside Utah) consignment haven. I shopped at two places my freshmen year: Forver 21 & The D.I.

When I realized I didn't even have enough money for Forever 21, I converted(almost entirely) to the D.I.

Near the end of the year all the girls in my building started going through their clothes and getting rid of what they no longer wanted in their closet.

A couple days before I came home I found a dress in the D.I. bin that some girl must have finally decided she didn't want.

I liked it for the pattern, and thought that I might be able to do something with it. Before I started on the project I showed my dad.

Me: "Dad, look at this dress I found in our D.I. bin, do you like it"
Dad: "Well, Rachel, I don't know. Is that what is in style these days?"
Me: "Not really, I'm going to fix it though".
Dad: (questionable voice)  "good luck"

I think I understand where he is coming from as I look back on what it looked like in the beginning...
I guarantee your mom owned a dress like this one in the 80s. My mom surely did. 

I started fixing it with the intent to keep it as a dress. I cut of 4 inches in width of fabric from the bottom half, and took in nearly 5 inches on the sleeves. When I finished (or thought I'd finished), I wasn't satisfied. It definitely didn't look as good as I'd hoped. 

As I was looking over it an hour ago, I finally came to the conclusion that I was going to just make it into a skirt. All I did was cut off the top of the cinched part and voila (Emilee)--summer skirt. 

Most importantly--summer skirt FOR FREE! 
Thank goodness for the D.I., and people that give stuff to that place. 

please excuse the poor photo quality. No one was home to take a photo, so I had to go with my mac. mazel tov. 




1 comment:

  1. What the!! CUTE!! I'm gonna go take a look in my mother's closet right now!!

    ReplyDelete