Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Organized Chaos. Rachel-Craft #1

With most of the things I fix or make this summer, I'll be using supplies I already have. My mom goes garage selling nearly every Saturday Morning and picks up odds and ends at them. She's made quite the collection over the years, and the culprit of her shopping is my favorite room in the house:





Our craft room is stalked with bins of fabric, cupboards of old scraps, bags of lace, boxes of buttons, and every tool anyone would need to construct a craft. I love this room.


I've grown up taking sewing lessons, and learning from my mom. My focus has mainly been quilting (I love it), but I also love to sew/craft any other random thing(thus why we started this blog).

I just moved back home for the summer and found myself with a significantly less amount of jewelry than from when I left for college. This is all due to my jewelry bin being really disorganized and jumbled. I lose things when I don't have a place for them! While on vacation in Los Alamos, New Mexico last week, I noticed my friend Summer's Jewelry holder. She had it hanging in her closet and that's where I got the idea for my first summer project.

(all the jewelry)

I used a 1/2 yard of old scrap fabric my mom had for the backing. The pink I used for the pockets was also found in one of her old scrap bins. I attached some garage sale lace at the top, braided some pink ribbon together for the strap, and picked out 3 little rose buttons that I found in our button bin. It took me around 3 hours to make total.






Before I put my jewelry in


Finished product! 



It's really pink. I'm not that into pink, but I figured I needed something girly if It's holding my jewelry.

Tomorrow I'm going to start working on a dress I took out of my dorm buildings D.I. bin. It's about 6 sizes too big right now, it'll be interesting to see if I can make it work. Until then,

hope you're all having a happy summer, I sure am!
-Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment