Friday, May 13, 2011

drumroll please

I don't sew....as in I don't sew.  Like, the extent of my capabilities are 2 skirts (made with someone watching me the whole time), some grosgrain ribbon belts, and a girls camp ward flag (okay this one was quilted--I am pretty proud of it.  I still have it.)  And years ago I made my Barbies some pretty great sleeping bags and pillows.  But other than that, I prefer making.....other things.  But yesterday I was trying to find something to wear with this dress:


And I realized it kinda looked childish with whatever I tried to wear it with.  (Btw, $4 find at the thrift store.  Maybe that's why I thought I could chop it up.)   So I pulled out this shirt:


And okay, this shirt was nicer but I haven't worn it in forever.  (Do you see where this is going?)  So I real quick skyped Rachel, the sewing master, and asked her if SHE would do what I was about to do, make the dress into a skirt then attach it to the shirt to make it a dress again.  After I got the okay-go from her, I felt a little more confident.  I chopped off the top part of the dress below the empire-waist line, pinned it to the dress, and sewed it around the shirt.  The planets were aligned and the gods were with me, because SOMEHOW the side seams of both the dress and the shirt matched up EXACTLY, as in they were the exact same measurement around, and I didn't have to take any of it in.  Basically this is what it turned out as:


I decided to keep the dress line where I cut it, instead of making an inside seam where the dress was attached, because I liked the small line of pattern from the dress that was unintentionally there from when I cut the dress.


And here's me wearing it, looking my best.  And that's how you sew a dress to a shirt, thanks to Rachel for inspiring me.  Honestly, if I could do it, anyone could.


Also, coming up next: photo blocks.  I'm halfway through this project because I didn't know we were out of modge podge, but I'm going to get some tonight.  That's all.

-Emilee

3 comments:

  1. Love it. It looks good on you Em! Can't wait to see the photo block things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never wanted to be crafty until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this a lot!!! Em, it looks so cute on you!

    ReplyDelete